Butte Strong Fund issues $520,000 in grants for Camp Fire recovery projects
David Little, executive vice president, North Valley Community Foundation. Email: email@example.com, 530-891-1150, ext. 300.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 8, 2020
The Butte Strong Fund committee has approved several grants, including one for $220,000 that will help deploy a mobile shower unit in the Camp Fire burn area.
The mobile, self-contained shower and laundry trailer will be staffed by employees and volunteers from the Oroville Southside Community Improvement Association. OSCIA will provide these services in Camp Fire-affected areas five days a week.
Each mobile hygiene shower trailer can provide up to 60 showers and 48 loads of laundry per day. The mobile shower unit will be ordered and organizers hope it will be in operation in the fall.
Other grants from the Butte Strong Fund this month include:
- Butte County Local Food Network ($50,000): For the Feed Butte County Direct program, which supports Magalia and Concow families by providing boxes of food from local farms to families in need.
- Paradise Adventist Church ($5,000): For the Love Delivers project, which aims to help a minimum of 250 Camp Fire survivors who are living within the burn scar with daily grocery deliveries during the shelter-in-place mandate.
- Paradise Evangelical Free Church ($45,000): For a shower facility at the Paradise Hope Volunteer Center. The church has converted a portion of its facility and opened it to house volunteer groups. The volunteer teams come from all over the United States and serve in the community, primarily assisting under- and uninsured residents affected by the Camp Fire with various projects.
- St. Thomas More Church ($12,000): For Project Welcome Home, which involves a team of two volunteers visiting new residents, presenting them with a crepe myrtle tree and answering any questions the residents may have.
- Heartstrings Counseling ($45,000): This grant will allow the continuation of Camp Fire survivor counseling, providing additional free counseling services in Butte County and to those who have relocated to Placer County.
- Creekside Native Village ($23,000): To rebuild the sacred cultural area on the property of Lake Concow Campground.
- Town of Paradise ($50,000): For a broadband feasibility study to examine avenues to create a premier broadband network for Paradise. The study includes evaluating current infrastructure, need and demand, as well as considerations related to a broader regional approach.
- Butte-Glenn Medical Society ($10,000): For 12 online Be Well sessions in May and June and three special sessions bringing in chief wellness officers and psychologists. The sessions are being offered online due to the COVID crisis. The Be Well program was created in response to the Camp Fire.
- Campaign Propane ($10,000): Allows Campaign Propane to continue providing propane in the burn scar during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Paradise Stronger Inc. ($50,000): Paradise Stronger offers wellness education programs, recovery services, fitness classes and partnerships with like-minded organizations.
With the latest grants, the North Valley Community Foundation has awarded more than $35 million for community recovery via the Butte Strong Fund, Camp Fire Relief Fund and donor-designated funds.
The Butte Strong Fund is a partnership of fundraising efforts led by NVCF, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. and Aaron Rodgers, the Green Bay Packers quarterback and Chico native.
The Butte Strong Fund provides funding for eligible organizations or local government entities that are directly serving people affected by the Camp Fire. Individual assistance is handled through those organizations.
Organizations interested in applying for Butte Strong Fund grants can visit ButteStrongFund.org to determine if they qualify for funding. Those that do can submit a brief grant inquiry before being invited to submit a full application. Staff at NVCF will facilitate the application process.
The Butte Strong Fund is still receiving donations. Tax-deductible donations can be sent to Butte Strong Fund, 240 Main St., Suite 260, Chico, CA 95928 or by visiting www.buttestrongfund.org.